Masters of the Ocean: Five Lessons from the Deep


Some teachers don't speak, yet somehow leave the deepest impressions. In years of freediving and snorkeling across the world's oceans, five creatures have shaped the way I see life, courage, patience, and connection. This is the story of five encounters and the lessons each one left behind.


The Triggerfish: Don't Judge by Appearance

I've dived with sharks countless times without incident. The only creature that has ever bitten me, in different parts of the world, was a small triggerfish, specifically a subspecies called Picasso. Triggerfish become fiercely territorial during breeding season, defending their nests and eggs against any perceived threat, including humans who wander too close without realizing it.

Triggerfish (Picasso) Hanauma Bay, Hawaii

In Portugal, where I live, I've encountered triggerfish many times without ever feeling threatened, yet in other parts of the world, divers approach them with real caution, sometimes even fear. The lesson is simple but easy to forget: don't judge by appearance, don't assume, and protect those who are weaker or more vulnerable than yourself.


The Turtle: The Power of Patience

Turtles carry personal meaning for me. On Sal Island in Cape Verde, while freediving in the Murdeira area, I saw a wild turtle for the first time and managed to hover above it for a few quiet moments before it swam on. At the time, I also had two turtles at home that had been neglected, and that encounter inspired me to take over their care properly, learning what they truly needed to thrive.



Sea turtles travel thousands of kilometers across the open ocean, yet return to the very beach where they were born to lay their eggs. They take years to reach maturity, a slow, steady journey that teaches something important: results don't require speed; they require persistence and the willingness to wait for the right moment.


The Shark: Fear Built on Myth

My first encounter with a shark was on Sal Island, Cape Verde, a mix of excitement and instinctive fear, even though the sharks were small, harmless lemon sharks. Sharks have existed for millions of years and play a crucial role in ocean ecosystems, yet popular imagination, fueled by decades of film, casts them as terrifying monsters.




The numbers tell a different story: the odds of being killed by a dog are 1 in 45,000, while the odds of being killed by a shark are roughly 1 in 28 million. Diving dozens of times since then, from the Great Barrier Reef to the Maldives, French Polynesia, and Raja Ampat, I've found the same pattern every time: sharks flee from humans far more than the reverse, especially in regions where fin-hunting traditions persist. It's a reminder that fear of the unknown, whatever form it takes, is often built on distorted myths rather than reality, and that true strength rarely needs to prove itself through conflict.


The Whale: A Meeting on Its Own Terms

French Polynesia gave me what may be the most incredible experience of my life: freediving with a humpback whale. It's one of the only places on Earth where this is possible in a conscious, consent-based way, rooted in a tradition of coexistence between humans and whales.




The encounter unfolds in stages, and at every stage, the whale decides whether it continues. The boat approaches from a distance first; if the whale doesn't move away, swimmers cover the remaining 100 meters; if the whale resurfaces near the same spot after diving, it signals comfort with the encounter. On one particular day, after a first failed attempt, a mother and calf allowed us close. The calf appeared first, curious, then the mother, moving with visible care as she surfaced beside us. At one point, she came within a few meters, and I looked directly into her eye, feeling a connection that words still struggle to capture.


The Dolphin: Listening Instead of Speaking

Off Pico Island in the Azores, with Portugal's highest peak rising from the sea in the distance, a boat trip set out with one goal: swimming with dolphins. Dolphins have long been symbols across cultures for joy, playfulness, empathy, intelligence, and sophisticated communication, and they live in tightly bonded social groups, even recognizing themselves in mirrors.

During that swim, while filming the encounter, I made an odd, playful sound trying to connect with the dolphins. Only later, reviewing the footage at home, did I notice the truth: moments before my sound, one of the dolphins had made something similar first. I hadn't initiated the exchange; I had simply echoed it, without even realizing I was responding rather than leading. It was a quiet but powerful lesson in perception, how easily we mistake our role in a moment for something it never was.





These five species, the triggerfish, the turtle, the shark, the whale, and the dolphin, offer more than memorable encounters. They are, each in their own way, masters of the ocean, and their example is worth carrying back onto land.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snorkeling Adventure Okinawa

Anicha Stone: The best snorkeling spot in Arrábida Natural Park

Octopus: the Master of Disguise